- About Us
- Brother David
From Disconnection to Connection New!
Br. David, Sharon Salzberg, and Kristen Neff speak with Wisdom 2.0 host Soren Gordhamer about creating a compassionate society.
Gratitude in the Digital Age
At the 2014 Wisdom 2.0 Conference, Br. David connects grateful living practice to the key components of mindfulness: wisdom, awareness, and compassion.
*Video starts at 5:10
Want to be happy? Be grateful
In his talk from TEDGlobal 2013, Br. David talks about how grateful living can change the power pyramid under which we live, and gives a simple formula for our gratefulness practice: stop, look and go.
Two Old Men
Br. David retells this folktale by Leo Tolstoy, leaving us to ponder "Who really got to the goal of the pilgrimage?"
Br. David Steindl-Rast on Gratitude
For Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly, Kate Olson brings us interviews as well as workshop footage of Br. David from his July 2010 weekend with Sam Keen on "Spirited Life in a Secular World." This video gives a deep perspective on gratitude and a contemporary God-view.
A Good Day
This video with narration by Br. David and music by award-winning composer Gary Malkin shows how today is not "just another day.
Giver of All Good Gifts
This Thanksgiving prayer offered by Br. David, accompanied by Gary Malkin's inspired music, looks towards the possibility of our world uniting in an overflow of gratitude.
Donate now and give others around the world the gift of enjoying these free videos.
Br. David shares how he discovered meditation, how nature's calming influence helps, how he perceives the quiet, and how stillness pertains to action.
Love and Forgiveness
Brother David shares his thoughts on love and forgiveness in his opening address to the Fetzer Institute's "Global Gathering: A Pilgrimage of Love and Forgiveness" in Assisi, Italy on Sept. 19, 2012.
In partnership with Commonweal, we offer this spiritual biography of Br. David Steindl-Rast, hosted by Michael Lerner.
- Part 1: Early Years to WWII
- Part 2: Growing Awareness - America and Monastic Life
- Part 3: A Happy and Fulfilled Life
- Part 4: Questions and Answers
- Part 5: Shaping a Spiritual Practice
- Part 6: Getting to Grateful
Money and Life (interview)
In Katie Teague's documentary, Br. David says that trust and lack of faith are at the core of the economic crisis.
Every Moment Is a Gift - In this newly HD formatted film by Daniela Haskara, Br. David speaks of the connection between peace and gratefulness at Esalen in 2003.
Spirituality for the Future
These clips of Br. David's talk are from the Tenth Annual Choices for the Future Symposium, Hosted by John Denver, August 25-27, 1995 (© The Windstar Foundation)
- Introduction: Chungliang Al Huang introduces Brother David
- Part One: Choosing to Come Alive
- Part Two: Openness to the Unimaginable
- Part Three: Reconnecting to the Deepest Part of Your Being
Human and Divine Nature
In this 1999 excerpt from the Thinking Allowed television series, Brother David talks about how the genuine spiritual basis of all religious traditions encourages the cultivation of independent conscience.
Search for Spirituality
Filmed in Big Sur during the 1990s through the National Council of Churches.
This talk by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, followed by discussion with Brother David Steindl-Rast and Father Thomas Keating, is a historic meeting of three elders, moral authorities of world standing, who together envision nonsectarian ethics of human well-being.
The Mystical Experience
Phil Cousineau on Link TV’s “Global Spirit” program, filmed in summer 2010, examines the nature of mystical experience with Br. David Steindl-Rast, Maata Lynn Barron, and Rabbi Jonathan Omer-Man.
- Clip 1: On Gratitude & the Now
- Clip 2: On Fear and Fundamentalism
- Clip 3: Listening to God
- Clip 4: The Illusory God
Hymn to the Great Song
Brother David celebrates Song born in Silence, with reference to St. Francis and the poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke. Part of Michael Stillwater's documentary series from Song Without Borders, a nonprofit initiative applying the power of song to personal and societal healing.
Death & Spirituality
Dr. Kenneth Kramer interviews Brother David at San Jose State University, March 1990. *These all have English captions now.
- What is missing in our perception of death?
- Reincarnation, purgatory and finding fulfillment
- What is going to happen when you die?
- How to support someone who is dying?
- Dr. Kramer asks Br. David how he would support someone who is grieving, and how he would like to die.
Thawing the Life-giving Waters
Br. David speaks about the ethics of inclusion and the elements of grateful living practice at the June 2010 International Transpersonal Conference in Moscow, Russia.
Spiritual Directors International talk
- Clip 1: Finding a spiritual guide (sometimes it's a challenge!)
- Clip 2: How do I pray? Where does spiritual guidance lead us?
Spiritual Practices for Everyday Living
A retreat with Br. David at Roy's Retreat in Adelaide, Australia, June 2009
- The meaning of "retreat"
- Contemplation: Bringing together vision and action
- Three aspects of "meaning": Word, Silence and Understanding
- Accessing meaning through poetry
- Manna: What is it?
- Some (unusual) words to live by
- In the present is our true self
Spirit, Soul, Mind, Body: A Universal Call to Contemplative
Br. David speaking at a retreat held at Boulder Integral, in Boulder, Colorado, June 26-28, 2009
- Mysticism as a personal "peak" experience
- James Wright's "A Blessing" - feeling really human
- "God View" as an approach to the Divine
A Documentary on Br. David Steindl-Rast
Ryan and Warren Anderson composed this biographical film - much of it on location at Mount Saviour Monastery - from 2003 footage taken by Sam Rider and Aishwarya Kancharla, thanks to a generous financial gift by Candice Fuhrman.
- Part 1: Early days at Mt. Saviour Monastery, Elmira, NY
- Part 2: Br. David's years in Buddhist monasteries
- Part 3: From dishwashing to lecturing to web-designing
Talks during Greek Isles Cruise (2007)
Video footage shot by Dutch Journalist Luc Sala.
- Three ways we find the Divine
- Grace and finding the space between thoughts
- Buddhist and Christian traditions meet
- Understanding our religious traditions
- Interdependent Arising as Divine
Gratefulness in the Now
With Br. David and Joan Halifax Roshi. Upaya Zen Center, May 2, 2007.
- Compassion fatigue
- Grateful living practice
- What is essential for gratefulness?
- With gratitude, you are never not wealthy
- Complaint-free world organization
- The opportunity to change
- Complaining vs. statement of fact
- Letting change guide you
What Good is the Church?
Integral Christianity Seminar, Denver, Colorado - 2006
With extraordinary humor and grace, Br. David and Fr. Thomas Keating discuss the value and limitations of the institutional church.
Living Yoga (2006)
In these two segments of a tribute to Br. David's friend Swami Satchidananda, Brother David discusses fundamentalism in the context of war and on a lighter note recalls a story with a surprising punch line.
The Monk and the Rabbi, 2005
Bokara Legendre talks with Br. David and Rabbi Lawrence Kushner about mysticism and religion.
Synthesis Dialogues interview - Rome, 2004
To learn more about the Synthesis Dialogues 2004 and order the entire DVD, which includes footage of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and many other influential voices, please visit here.
- Gratefulness as the heart of every spiritual tradition
- Opening ourselves to surprise
- Blessing is the cosmic bloodstream
- What keeps humans going in spite of ourselves?
- A new Godview
- The basis for a healthy self image
Thanks-Giving World Advisors Meeting, 1996 Br. David answers three questions: (1) How vital is thanksgiving to the life we lead? (2) How important is Thanks-giving Square for gratitude worldwide?, and (3) How vital is our support of the thanksgiving message?
Many Paths, One Truth
In excerpts from this 1977 film by John D. Goodell, an ecumenical gathering led by Swami Satchidananda, Br. David Steindl-Rast, Rabbi Joseph Gelberman, Rev. Gesshin (Roshi Prabhasa Dharma), Father Robert Beh, and Mushida Taj Inayat explores how a universal vision can bring change into the world.
Donate now and give others around the world the gift of enjoying these free videos.
Videos in German - We have a German-language branch of the website that includes video presentations by Br. David (scroll down the page to the "Audio/Video" section). For longer German videos, see this page.
From a visit to Romania, October 2011
Video 1 - Brother David Steindl Rast la Bucuresti, partea I
Video 2 - Brother David Steindl Rast la Bucuresti, partea II
Video 3 - Brother David Steindl-Rast la Timisoara
Video 4 - Brother David Steindl-Rast la Iasi
Favorite Films - Here we offer descriptions of favorite films from more than 20 years of Esalen film seminars led by Francis G. Lu, M.D. and Br. David Steindl-Rast.